MC 4315: Web Design and Publishing
Project 2: Multimedia Journalism
- Build a site from design sketches to functional product
- Design journalistic content for the web
- Strengthen web writing skills
- Produce photo and video content in web journalism context
- Practice responsive design and using CSS frameworks
This project will be an original multimedia journalism piece requiring you to conduct interviews, shoot photo and video and build a web journalism piece with Bootstrap.
- Conduct interviews with at least two different people.
- Shoot photo and video footage pertaining to your story
- Write the story and produce the content
- 900-1200 words of written content, more if it's worth it.
- One edited video (length depends on the story you choose. Some may require more video for effective storytelling, some may not)
- At least five edited photos.
- Three must be used in a slideshow or collage, two others may appear on their own somewhere in the story
- Create a subdomain with appropriate name on you server to host this project
- Sketch two or three versions of the site's visual design and functionality. Will it be a single page through which the user scrolls, or will content disperse across a few pages?
- Build the site using CSS framework Bootstrap
- Don't forget to add media queries to account for any additional styling needed beyond the standard Bootstrap responsive.
- Post a link to the project in #general on Slack using subdomain
Project 2 is worth 200 points.
- A+: Story goes beyond minimum effort in reporting, use of data elements like maps or graphs
- A: Strong storytelling, effective use of multimedia components, content is organized creatively, no responsive issues
- B: Story shows minimal effort or is missing some components, minor responsive issues
- C: Several missing components and poor reporting effort, responsive issues
- F: Systemic errors, turned in late, critical errors.